WEDDINGS & EVENTS
Wedding Attire Guide for Men | Tuxedo
Men’s Wedding Attire Guide: How To Wear A Tuxedo For Your Wedding
Tuxedos are getting popular by the day as the wedding outfit choice for guys. On a regular basis, I receive emails from readers of MR KOACHMAN asking what color, style, and type of tuxedo they should wear for their wedding and how to accessorize the outfit.
Last night, I received an email via our recently launched Style Q/A platform ASK MR KOACHMAN, asking the same question; he wanted to know how to wear a tuxedo for his wedding. See email below:
After I read through the email, I decided to write and share a wedding attire guide for the first time, and this time with a focus on Tuxedo. As always, we are here to guide you in the right direction when you are unsure of what to wear and how to wear it. So if you are also thinking of wearing a Tuxedo for your wedding, read this for a full Tuxedo style guide.
STYLE SUGGESTIONS FOR YOUR WEDDING TUXEDO:
- Type: Go for something timeless, simple and tailored to fit.
- Jacket Style: Could be double breasted or Single Breasted. The single breasted Tuxedo must have only 1 button. Don’t ever wear a 2 or 3 button tuxedo.
- Pocket Style: Go for Jetted Pockets, they are more formal, and hence more suitable for tuxedos. Avoid the flap pocket style.
- Lapel Style: Shawl or Peak Lapel. Never a Notch Lapel. For details on each lapel style check here.
- Color: Keep it classic with the Black or Midnight Blue color. A cream-colored tuxedo can also be worn in warm weather.
Wedding Attire Guide | What To Wear With Your Tuxedo
- Dress shirt (White only) with a pleat in front or pique front. The collar could be “wing collar” or the regular “turn-down” collar. It should also be a double cuff (French cuff).
- Shoe: Polishable black dress shoe prefers. A black patent leather oxfords (plain or cap-toe), slip on or black pumps with a bow on the vamp (the upper front part of the shoe). Any other type of shoe would be too sporty for a tuxedo.
- Socks: Long Black socks so you don’t expose any calf when sitting down or walking.
- Cufflinks is a must. Remember, your shirt has to be a double cuff shirt (French cuff)
- Dress Watch – Go for a thin Dress Watch that will sit down on your sleeves comfortably. See below for ideas:
Also Read: How To Match A Watch With Your Outfit
- Pocket square: Optional, but if you choose to use one, stick to the simple white handkerchief or white/black polka dot. The idea is to keep it simple.
- Boutonniere: This is also optional even though it is one accessory you can use to separate the groom from the best man. Once you’ve decided to wear a boutonniere, you shouldn’t wear pocket square/handkerchief. They shouldn’t be worn simultaneously.
- Bow Tie (not Neck Tie) – Black or Midnight blue made from same material as the jacket’s lapel. Don’t go for a pre-tied bow tie, opt for a real bow tie instead, if, for no other reason, it looks really cool when you undo it at the end of the night. See Idris Elba’s pix below:
- Other Optional Accessories: Cummerbund, Suspenders (or Braces) and Waist Coat. But the rule says – Never wear a belt, even if hidden by a cummerbund. Instead, wear suspenders, preferably black, if you need to keep your trousers up. If you must wear a waistcoat with your single breasted tuxedo, go for the U-shaped type with straight bottom.
WHAT NOT TO WEAR:
- No belt.
- No Necklace.
- Bracelets are not necessary, but if you must, accessorize lightly. Wear a simple non-casual one. No Shamballa bracelets or nautical trend bracelets; Remember it’s a formal event.
- Avoid wearing the colorful socks. Stick to the classic long black silk socks.
Now that you’ve gotten a full list of what you should have to pull off a big entrance in your tuxedo, please ensure your tuxedo fits you well and looks sharp!
Also, stay updated on the go with MR KOACHMAN. Click here to sign up for notification and get our free Style e-Book. Subscribe To Our BBM Channel today on C0027D702
for a daily dose of awesome pictures, classic men’s look, and style inspirations. NOTE: – If you’re a BB 10 user, just Click Here to Join our Channel Automatically | iPhone, Android, and other Phone users should click HERE to join easily.
I wish you the best day ever.
Yours in Style,
Kobi O. Mbagwu (Mr. Kobi)
Connect with me
Latest posts by Mr. Kobi (see all)
- 5 Ways You Can Improve Your Fitness in Less Than 20 Minutes - December 4, 2017
- END OF NO SHAVE NOVEMBER | WINNERS ANNOUNCED! - November 30, 2017
- 25 Ralph Lauren Quotes On Elegance, Timeless Style, and Success - November 22, 2017