How to Match Your Tie to Your Suits and Shirts (Part 2 of 2)
The ability to match shirts and ties effortlessly both in color choices and pattern choices is a skill necessary for any man. If you always get it right, you will be seen as one of the best-dressed gents around and if you get it wrong, you will be seen as one of the worst dressed. It’s as simple as that.
When pairing shirts and ties, you have several basic options. You can choose between
- a solid tie on a solid shirt
- a solid tie on a patterned shirt
- a patterned tie on a solid shirt
- a patterned tie on a patterned shirt.
Once you add in the suit, things become a little more complex, as you need to decide how to best complement your outfit with contrasting or complementary colors. But it’s all very simple really and we’ve covered it already in Part 1 of this article: Check it out here – How to Match Your Tie to Your Suits and Shirts (Part 1 of 2)
Today we want to discuss – PATTERNS – How to mix and match patterns.
As a rule of thumb, when experimenting with patterns, avoid mixing any more than two (2) distinct patterns, since you can easily overwhelm yourself and make for a distracting outfit.
See other rules below…
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT WEARING, MIXING, AND MATCHING PATTERNS
When it comes to patterns, there are several basic rules you should follow. Here are they…
When wearing a striped shirt and striped tie, the stripes of your shirt and stripes of your tie should be different sizes and should not lean in the same direction: E.g. vertical thin stripes on your shirt should go with diagonal thick stripes on the tie.
2. If you are less experienced in color mixing and matching, when wearing a shirt with stripes and any patterned tie, it is recommended that you should wear a suit in a solid color.
3. When mixing multiple pieces with the same pattern, pattern proportion must vary. If you choose a shirt with thin and close stripes you should pair it with a broader/wider striped tie. If you choose a shirt with tiny polka dot, you can pair it with a tie of larger polka dots.
Also Read: How to Match Ties to Pocket Squares
4. Even when mixing two completely different patterns, pattern sizes are still important. For instance, thick stripes on the shirt should go with thin or small patterns on the tie and vice versa. But please take note of the next rule (Rule No 5) that has to do with a checked shirt.
5. When mixing checked shirt with another patterned tie, the tie must always have a larger pattern to distinguish itself against the shirt. An easy pattern to start with is stripes. Stripes are an essential in the fashion world, as they are versatile in size, shape, and direction.
6. When wearing a patterned shirt (checked or striped), plain color ties are an easy choice, but you can also wear polka dots, paisley or floral ties.
7. When choosing a tie color to pair with a patterned shirt, take the dominant color of the shirt as a secondary color of your tie.
Generally, suits and ties can be broken down into colors and patterns. For fashionistas, texture adds an extra element of surprise to the various combinations you create.
A good tip to prevent you from making a tie faux pas is to always wear quality ties. Many cheap ties have a shiny texture that distracts from the overall outfit. Avoid wearing ties with a bright shine by choosing a matte finish or, if you want to step out of the box, wearing velvet, silk, knit, or wool.
Practice Makes Perfect
You can mix patterns if they are of different sizes and you can mix stripes as long as they are not the same thickness and not leaning in the same direction.Don’t be shy about mixing and matching colors and patterns to create amazing combinations. Following these rules will ensure that you don’t make any fashion mistakes and will help you put better outfits together.
I’m glad you took the time to read The Part 1 and now The Part 2 of this article – How to Match Your Tie to Your Suits and Shirts. Thanks so much for stopping by. Have you learned a lot from this piece? If yes, please share below in the comment section.
Also feel free to join/follow us on any of our social channels (see below) you frequently use as we continuously inspire you on how to dress well and live well.
Until next time gentlemen – Sayonara!
Yours in Style,
Connect with me
This article has been written collaboratively by Kobi O. Mbagwu [Mr. Kobi] and Carolyn Clarke.
Carolyn Clarke is a freelance fashion writer and stylist from Los Angeles, California. She is also the owner of the site District Clothing. Dedicated to all things style, she is passionate about designing new outfits for men and creating a bold statement with each piece. With her expert insights in the fashion industry, she continues to make a bold difference by guaranteeing the best colors, prints, and textures in her curated outfits.
Latest posts by Mr. Kobi (see all)
- 5 Ways You Can Improve Your Fitness in Less Than 20 Minutes - December 4, 2017
- END OF NO SHAVE NOVEMBER | WINNERS ANNOUNCED! - November 30, 2017
- 25 Ralph Lauren Quotes On Elegance, Timeless Style, and Success - November 22, 2017